Communication and swallowing problems are common in residential aged care, with up to 95% of residents living with at least one related disorder. A host of neurological conditions, along with the physiological changes of ageing, present a range of challenges for carers.
Traditionally, most care facilities only engage a speech pathologist as a reactive response to an individual’s swallowing difficulties…but there’s so much more to their services than just dysphagia management. When we improve someone’s ability to communicate we greatly improve their quality of life.
AHP clinicians are accredited by Speech Pathology Australia as Certified Practising Speech Pathologists. Our services range from individual resident assessments to developing and implementing comprehensive facility programs.
AHP Speech Pathology services include:
- Dysphagia Management: Individual consultations, assessments and treatment planning.
- Dysphagia Management Systems: Comprehensive dysphagia management systems for your facility. We’ll design and implement a first class system to keep your residents safe and equip your team with the skills to keep them that way. From product selection and staff training to policy development and client education, AHP can help you provide an exceptional standard of care.
- Augmentative and Assistive Communication: Our clinicians can recommend individual communication aids and provide specialised treatments for disabilities associated with stroke and neurological disorders such Parkinson’s disease.
- Staff Education: Physiology, symptom recognition, treatment strategies and product selection.
- Case Conferences and Care Planning: These can be challenging times for residents and their families. We’ll provide you with the support to get everyone ‘on board’.
Our services range from individual resident assessments to developing and implementing comprehensive facility programs.